Thursday, October 7, 2010

17 = OLD

Sitting and doing her homework, Jackie is asking everyone what transmission means. I honestly had no clue, so I told her what my parents used to tell me when I would ask the same question: "Go look it up."

***on a side note: i really hated those words. it meant i had to get up, go find the dictionary, and then look up my word, and then put the dictionary back. so much work!!! ;)****

She looks at me, apparently already frustrated, and says "I already did! It didnt make any sense!" i looked at her, remembering exactly what i felt at 10 and didnt understand a word, but i still asked her "what did it say?" "I dont even know!"

Here i couldnt help but laugh. i mean, i LOVE to read, so whenever i didnt understand a word, i dissected it by the sentence and other words surrounding it. call it the writer in me, but i didnt mind learning new words. my lil sis however, wants nothing to do with dictionaries.  

After gaining control, i asked her what dictionary she used, "The Webster's one?" she hesitated. "Um no." i got a really strange feeling in the pit of my stomach, "Then which one did you use?" she hesitates again- "Uh the online one. Janine, it's easier!" I looked at her, "Then go get the actual dictionary, you'll understand it better." But Jackie is adamant that she will not understand what that one says either. i thought i might be able to make her feel better, so i said, "Jackie, when i was your age (uh-oh!) i had to actually get up and get the dictionary, there was no online dictionary." She just looks at me and says, "That is because they hadnt invented it yet!!" (YIKES!)

"Are you saying I am old?" I demanded. "Yes!" she yells. i shook my head before i pointed out to her that i was born in the same decade she was. then i commented something about putting that on facebook, and walked away, not able to believe that at 17, I am OLD..... :)

J♥

P.S. Transmission means: to send or forward, as to a recipient or destination. (Just in case you were wondering...)

No comments:

Post a Comment